Visitors are always welcome at Holy Assumption Monastery. Due to our unique location in the heart of a tourist town, the sisters are accustomed to accommodating guests at our services, meals, and daily activities. Both Orthodox pilgrims and those who are curious about monasticism and Orthodoxy may join us at any time, except on Mondays as the monastery grounds are closed for the sisters' personal retreat day.
Whether you are bringing a large group or yourself, please call ahead so that we can arrange to welcome you and give you a tour or talk.
One room is available for women guests to stay overnight. In addition, a few local bed and breakfasts with reasonable rates are located close by:
Fanny's Bed & Breakfast
Calistoga Welcome Center (for more places to stay and things to do in Calisotga)
While you are with us, visit our Store (look for the red door along the Washington Street sidewalk) to browse our selection of books, icons, monastery-made prayer ropes, honey, olive oil and vinegar, and various gift items.
Many of you who come to the monastery ask what you can bring with you for the community. We are very grateful for your wish to contribute to the life of the monastery. Below you can read some suggestions of useful items that are always appreciated at Holy Assumption!
- paper products (environmentally friendly when possible): paper towels, toilet paper, paper napkins, dinner plates, dessert plates, plastic utensils, hot & cold paper cups
- gift cards/certificates: Costco, Trader Joe's, Oliver's Markets, Safeway, Wal-mart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, gas cards (gas for monastery vehicles)
- olive oil
- canned goods: green beans, corn, beets, tahini, garbanzo beans, refried beans, dolmathes, natural peanut butter, natural almond butter, Smucker's raspberry jam
- dried goods: all-purpose flour, white sugar, brown sugar, old fashioned rolled oats, gluten-free grain-free pasta (Tinkyáda brand when possible), beans, lentils, brown rice, dried fruit, nuts, tea, coffee
- dairy-free products (Daiya brand when possible): yogurt, cheese, cream cheese
- office supplies: 8-1/2"x11" 20# white printer/copier paper (recycled when possible), toner cartridges for monastery printer/copier (please contact monastery for details)
- cleaning supplies: trash bags (33-gallon outdoor, 13-gallon kitchen, 10-gallon wastebasket), Simple Green refills, Windex refills
- specialty item: Sassafras Bread Dome (please contact monastery for details or questions)
- specialty item: 3-Step Lock-N-Stock Folding Ladder, Ballymore Model LS3247 (please contact monastery for details or questions)
- specialty item: Basic Ham Radio Equipment and lessons on how to use it (please contact monastery for details or questions)